Thursday, October 18, 2007

Scared? Me?


What makes me uneasy, skittish, frightened or terrified…


A few weeks ago I discussed phobias. Well now I'm going to share a few of my own.

1. Acrophobia- Fear of heights. (This was due to being trapped in a small elevator going up the St. Louis Arch.)

2. Claustrophobia- Fear of confined spaces. (See above for the reason. I really have to force myself to ride in an elevator. I white knuckle the entire ride.)

3. Gephyrophobia or Gephydrophobia or Gephysrophobia- Fear of crossing bridges. (This is very difficult for me if the bridge is over water. When I drive across a bridge I have to speed up a bit to make it across. I also am terrified of walking across one. )

4. Metathesiophobia- Fear of changes. (This one applies to me slightly. I have to follow a set routine. If I don’t I can't function. I have to follow the same routing every single morning. Wake up. Turn on computer and office light. Take dog out. Feed dog. Do breakfast. Come to work on computer. AND every Friday mom and I go shopping. If we don’t follow the same route through the store I get completely messed up. Don't I Mom?)

5. Neophobia- Fear of anything new. (Does this really apply to me? I mean if I don't have my normal routine I'm messed up. Does that make me a Neophobic?)

6. Algophobia- Fear of pain.

7. Apiphobia- Fear of bees. (I'm allergic)

8. Atychiphobia- Fear of failure. (This caused it to be so hard for me to submit my first book. To this day I get all nervous and nauseated at the prospect of sending in a manuscript. Then I feel the same fear when the book is released.)

9. Climacophobia- Fear of stairs, climbing, or of falling downstairs. (I've taken headers down our stairs so many times its absolutely terrifying for me.)

10. Glossophobia- Fear of speaking in public or of trying to speak. (I can talk to my friends at restaurants of whatever. I can complain about that obnoxious child in the aisle over, but having to speak in front of a large group scares me. )

11. Katagelophobia- Fear of ridicule. (This one has to be obvious from some of my other phobias)

12. Nucleomituphobia- Fear of nuclear weapons. (In this day and age doesn't everyone have a touch of this?)

13. Social Phobia- Fear of being evaluated negatively in social situations. (Again pretty self evident)






Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



3 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Hey, babe! You really let all this get to you? You're kidding, right? I'd have never guessed and I'm still not convinced...

Happy TT!

Carrie Lofty said...

Never had a problem with those. I wonder if there's a "fear of being ignored?" Coz that'd be me :)

Bethanne said...

Sometimes it's best to just stay home, eh? LOL Good for you. Becoming a success despite the fear. :D